Tuesday, August 27, 2013

League 1: The 4 Winners Come Easy

In a freak accident, Kevin and I agreed with all the picks! For a debatable website, we kind of failed this round. But based on some conversations, it seems you won't be agreeing with us. Special call out to Carrie, who helped get me off the fence with Omar Gooding vs. Clarissa. Did we get the answers right? Join the conversation!



Budnick v. Kevin (Ug) Lee 

KW: So for the first matchup, I think you clearly have to go with Budnick. While they did give Ug a bit of a human side (when his girlfriend broke up with him), Budnick was the undisputed king of cool at Camp Anawanna

KV: I wish this was a tougher decisions for me, because I realy do like Ug. His knowing of whether a giraffe's tongue is black or red was a highlight moment, but sadly he ran into the Salute Your Shorts champion. Budnick was everything from loathsome to cool and he has to be the winner.

Winner: Budnick

Marc Summers v. Little Pete

KV: I have to go with Marc Summers. I actually didn't like what would you do or double dare, but I did like him. He made me want to be on those shows.

KW: I have to agree. As much as I enjoyed P&P, and specifically the character of Little Pete, it was hard for me to empathize with him since I'm an older sibling. Marc is just so affable and likable. You don't realize how ridiculous his job is when you're a kid. Looking at it as an adult now, I'm amazed at how well he was able to keep shows moving forward while at the same time keeping things so positive for the kids.

KV: The thing with Pete and Pete is that it was a great show, but no one character stands out to me as sizably better. Younger Pete is better than older Pete, but the other characters like Artie are just as good. It's a show that's sum is greater than any of it's parts.

Winner: Marc Summers

Alex Mack v. Sardo

KW: This one is interesting. Neither character is really as well known among Nickelodeon characters. Full disclosure: I had a huge crush on Larissa "Alex Mack" Oleynik when her show was airing. I'm glad to see she's still working on things like Mad Men. In the final analysis, though, I think I have to give this one to Sardo. Here's why: I actually remember specific things about Sardo. As cute as I found Alex Mack, today I can't tell you one episode plotline or specific detail about the show. But I can tell you that Sardo is very particular about the pronunciation of his name. Because he is more memorable (and achieved that with less exposure than Alex), I have to give it to him.

KV: I am surprised you said that, because everyone seems to think Sardo was a bad call. But Sardo did more in two episodes than Alex Mack did with a whole show. That said, Larisa Oleynik was ridiculously cute, but got to give it to Sardo, No mister, accent on the Do.

KW: Yeah, other than remembering how much I liked the actress, I really don't have a lot to go on for Alex Mack. Never forgotten Sardo, though.

KV: To put it in terms we can all understand: Larisa Oleynik's cuteness > Sardo > Alex Mack's sister in a million commercials > Alex Mack

Winner: Sardo


Omar Gooding v. Clarissa

KV: Omar v. Clarissa has been the toughest one for me. I really love Clarissa, the character, the video games, Elvis, Sam the whole lot. But Omar Gooding went on to be a meth head football player on Playmakers.. which is awesome, while MJH went on to produce a movie called Dead 9 which was full of stereotypes and she was bad in it. But when it comes to Nick, she was queen, so Clarissa

KW: Make no mistake: for a time in the mid-90s, Nickelodeon was Clarissa's network. It seems strange, but the show was quite groundbreaking. How many other live action shows with female lead characters were marketed to both genders? If there were any others, they never came up on my radar. CEIA worked because the challenges she faced were KID challenges and relatable to virtually anybody in our age group. W&CK will always be the show I wished I had gotten on, and there's no denying that Omar has Clarissa beat when it comes to being related to Cuba Gooding, Jr., but Clarissa's impact is just too great to ignore.

Winner: Clarissa

No comments:

Post a Comment